What You Need To Know About The Benefits of Essential Oils
- Summary: Essential oils are not oils “essential” to human health. Rather, essential oils contain the essence of the plant(s) from which they are produced, most notably the fragrance.
- Origin: Essential oils go back to the dawn of civilization. Ancient Egyptians produced essential oils for cosmetics and healthcare. Essential oils have been used in traditional medical systems (i.e., Ayurveda and Traditional Chinese Medicine) and are making their way into conventional Western medicine.
- Potential Health Benefits and Uses
- Cognition and Mood
- Pest Control
- Side Effects & Interactions: Always consult with a licensed healthcare provider.
- Additional Information:
What Are The Best Essential Oils?
What Benefits Might I Expect From Essential Oils?
First, we need to clarify that different essential oils (and combinations) can provide different benefits to different people. Additionally, the different oils might pose risks to some and not others. It is important to involve your healthcare provider.
Second, essential oils are used primarily either topically on the skin or inhaled as part of aromatherapy. Ingesting is usually a bad idea. So not only does the specific essential oil(s) make a difference but so too does the application. This is more than picking something that “smells pretty”. If you want the full benefit, you may wish to work with an aromatherapist.
Most sources we reviewed seem to highlight the value of essential oils for anxiety. Researchers have examined stress-induced anxiety at work as well a pre-operative anxiety for patients and postpartum for women. Essential oils may be a great treatment or complement for your troubled mind.
Cognition / Mood / Sense of Wellbeing
Perhaps one of the challenges with complementary therapies like essential oils is just how difficult it is to specify what the benefit is… and then measure it. Under the umbrella of enhancing cognition / mood / sense of wellbeing there are numerous studies that demonstrate moderate to significant benefits from essential oils.
Every gardener knows there are plants that can help keep pests and critters out of the garden. Essential oils are the essences of plants so using them for pest control makes perfect sense.
In addition to unwanted pests and critters, essential oils have been used for antibacterial and antifungal agents. One study even used them in hospitals successfully.
The popularity of essential oils is on the rise and research continues to evolve. Some of the best essential oils’ benefits are still coming to light such as:
- End of life agitation
- Memory loss
- Pain Management
Additional Information & References on The Benefits Of Essential Oils
You are in charge of your health. Doing a little extra research will not only let you make better decisions but also empower YOU with knowledge of the benefits of essential oils. To help you learn more let HealthCare Too start you with some links:
- Essential oils used in aromatherapy: A systemic review
- Aromatherapy as a Brain Tonifier A Review
- The Effectiveness of Aromatherapy in Reducing Pain: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
- The Effects of Aromatherapy on Postpartum Women: A Systematic Review.
- Pain relief assessment by aromatic essential oil massage on outpatients with primary dysmenorrhea: A randomized, double‐blind clinical trial
Choosing Not Only The Best Essential Oils But The Best Essential Oils Brands
All the knowledge and research for benefits from essential oils will be useless if what you buy is less than the plant essence. The essential oils market is competitive and we need guidance. For those who have a reliable practitioner, that is wonderful! For the rest of us, we need know the best essential oils brands.
HealthCare Too recently received a free report from consumersadvocate.org, Best Essential Oil Brands Based on In-Depth Reviews. It was indeed free and in-depth! They covered not only the lab results (always good to know) but the brand’s business model, sustainability efforts, and more.
You can find the report at https://www.consumersadvocate.org/essential-oils.
The research team spent over 600 hours looking at a samples of essential oils from 11 companies in concert with an independent lab. After all, if you buy an essential oil you want it to be the essential oil and not laced with synthetics (unless it is clearly marked and explained).
For the essential oils listed on this page we tried to follow the guidance from consumersadvocate.org but please do your own research!
Essential Oils Products
When you are ready, here are some products that may help you experience some of essential oil’s health benefits for your own health and household.